Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Review on Dave's Article- Let's not be Left Behind

I've just read Dave Sperling's article on ESL Magazine. It is quite amazing when searching 'ESL' on Google, you can always see Dave's name. Yes. I have encountered the same situations that Dave talked about in his article: 'teachers are afraid to get involved in technology'. Whenever I talk about utilizing computers to language teaching or other new perspectives on CALL, some teachers' responses are 'oh! that's too difficult for me' or 'Well...I don't know...I am sure that's good for teaching...but...'

I can still remember the excitement that I had when I learned about CALL the very first time. I can't describe that feelings...but I remember at that time I just couldn't wait to tell my boss about it.

I am actually very good at browsing websites though...but knowing ways to incorporate computer into language classroom is actually quite a new experience for me. I really can't wait to bring what I know about CALL back to Taiwan; I believe that by using technology in classrooms can make me a very cool teacher.

I believe most students nowadays have experiences on the internet, at least sending emails or using word processor. Like me, I sit in front of my computer at least 8 hours a day...I don't buy envelops and stamps anymore; instead, I use e-mails and e-cards to contact friends. Even now I am abroad now, 16 hours away from home, I can still use webcam to see my parents; it's just like home. It seems like internet just brings your loved person closer; communication is easier ever!! I mean... if most students are like me, rely heavily on technology, how can teachers know nothing about computer and internet?

So... come on!! We teachers need to keep learning new things...for nothing, just to keep catch up with our students.




3 Comments:

Blogger Bee said...

Absolutely Stella! I have been on the cyber road since 1997 and can say the trip is worth it - I have learnt a lot, shared the results with my students (and vice-versa) and have met lots of other interested teachers online who are also doing exceptional work with CALL. An example is an international community of practice called Webheads in Action (http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm)
Why don't you join us?
Warm regards from Brazil,
Bee

3:45 PM  
Blogger Y.H.Stella Chen 陳老師語言教學 said...

hi Bee.
First of all, I apologize for my late reply. I've been working on 3 research papers at the same time... thanks for your invitation! I am looking forward to join it!!

Cheers,
Stella

7:07 PM  
Blogger Y.H.Stella Chen 陳老師語言教學 said...

hi Bee.
First of all, I apologize for my late reply. I've been working on 3 research papers at the same time... thanks for your invitation! I am looking forward to join it!!

Cheers,
Stella

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home