Saturday, September 18, 2004

correcting students' errors??

i've just done a very little research on Selinker's (1972) interlanguage hypothesis, which hypothesized that L2 learning pattern is very similar to the L1 learning sequence; learners follow a certian learning stages to give hypotheses about the target language and test them in order to reinforce the knowledge. This hypothesis seems to suggest us that 'learning sequence can't be changed' and therefore when learners make errors, we should take those errors as learning steps, rather problems.
Well, if that's the case, then...what are language teachers for???
According to Krashen's idea, teachers should always respect students errors and only let studnets to correct their own errors. Joe (one of my classmates) also said that he found correcting studnets' errors never works! and today... when i was browsing linguistic logs, I came across David and Scott's idea exchange, which was very interesting as well.
I don't know... I guess I still belive explicit instruction about the target langague is still important. I mean whenever my students make errors, I just can't ignore them. I think I would like to give a try...although it probably will not help.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If we are talking strictly about writing error correction, many existing theories of teacher practice tend to fall apart when applied in the cultural context we are in, i.e., outside of North America. I published a paper in Language Learning just on this topic--get paper here: http://warden.idv.tw/warden/personalPage/papers/LL_00.pdf The conclusion is that error correction does work in the cultural context where error correction is assumed to be normal, as in most Asian settings. I have a forthcoming paper in TESOL-Q that also addresses these complex issues. The biggest problem is that the profession back in the West have their received knowledge base, and reality will never interfere with it.

Congrats on your paper being published, you have begun the busy life of a researcher.

1:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home