Monday, September 20, 2004

Reflection on Commnets- create positive monitor for students

Thanks for Prof. Warden's comment on my views on error correction. Cuz I want to make some links in my reply, I choose to post my another view here (still not quite familiar with the interface ><) Firstly of all, I am glad to see your research paper regarding to writing error correction. I agree with you. In Asian cultures such like Japan, Taiwan, or China, error correction is viewed to be very important; this is because teachers strictly focus on grammar and vocabulary instruction. I think the interlangauge hypothesis (Selinker, 1982) is mainly talking about spoken errors. I would like to reflect on Krashen's the monitor hypothesis that claims that when learners have more time to 'plan' their spoken output, they are likely to perform better. In other words, although learners know the rule, in the very quick turn taking conversation, they still make errors, which can be an evidence that they may just 'learn' the rule rathe than 'acquire' it.

In my opinion, no matter written or spoken errors, I do believe 'practice makes perfect'. In written task when learners have time to plan their output, explicit instruction is definately important. And...if we are talking about spoken errors, well, I would still anticipate my students to know how to use correct words or grammar; probably it can be 'positive monitor' when they are talking in the target language

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Y.H. Chen, I posted as anonymous because your baord requires logging in and a password. I've got so many passwords right now, that I can't keep track of one more.

I am the author of that paper, Clyde Warden (http://warden.idv.tw).

2:49 PM  
Blogger Y.H.Stella Chen 陳老師語言教學 said...

Hi,Clyde

Thank you again for dropping by my site again. Yes. I know you are the author of the paper ^^. I was just not sure whether you would feel comfortable if I mention your name (cuz you used anonymous); not quite sure why I had that thought though :p sorry for that. I visited your webpage and I was so excited to see that you have so many teaching experiences in Taiwan; such a warm feeling to browse your website. Thank you again.

I am still not very familiar with the setting of blogger. Certainly will need to make this site better.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home